Monday, May 11, 2009

The start of the 3rd trimester.....

This morning I went into the doctor's for my 27th week check-up as well as my glucose test to screen for gestational diabetes. I had to drink a very sugary orange drink one hour before and then get my blood taken. I also had to be checked for anemia with another tube of blood. The doctor said it is very common for pregnant women to be anemic especially at this point in the pregnancy. I will find out my results tomorrow and hoping for a green light or a thumbs up will do too!!!

My blood pressure was great, weight gain well it was weight gain, the baby's heart rate was still in the 150s and very loud and strong and my belly was measuring exactly at 27 centimeters as it should. The doctor felt around my tummy and I asked him if we could feel the position of the baby and he thought that the head was located down already but he couldn't be certain. He said that by 30 weeks most babies will be head down in preparation for delivery and if she was not at this time, there were no worries as she has plenty of time to turn.

He also said to expect my belly to double in size in the next 12 weeks as well as my weight gain to be nothing short of A LOT! He wants me to gain at least another 10 pounds but closer to 15...... First time in my life someone wants me and expects me to gain weight! Jeez such pressure:)

He also shared with me a little about pre-term labor. He said that at this point the baby has a better than 90% chance of surviving if I had her now. He said that she would have to stay in the hospital for about 2 months but that she would probably have little to no long term problems. Seems hard to believe that at 2 to 2 1/2 pounds this little bundle of joy would make it on the outside world.

We then discussed what the weeks have in store for me and what to expect. I will go back on June 2nd for another ultrasound to check on everything and then I will begin my appointments every two weeks.... So exciting that we are moving right along with no complications.....What a blessing so far!