Thursday, July 18, 2013

I often think about the day we found out we were having a little boy. It was 20 weeks into the pregnancy and as the mother I was 99.9% sure I was having another little girl, a sister for Avery. More pink, more babies and lots of cute clothes for a lifetime of shopping.  The ultrasound tech didn't think we wanted to know if it was a boy or girl so she finished and said "alright that is it all looks good" and we said " AND.....what are we having?" and she responded " I didn't know you wanted to know let me go back in and check but I thought I saw "something" at that very moment I knew that "something" was a penis:) My heart sunk, A BOY?????? What???? Daddy was beyond happy at the thought of possible baseball games and the bonding that comes with having a little man but mama was not quite sure.  I always saw myself as a mother of girls.  So on July 18th at exactly 12:53 this baby came out and yep there was a penis.  The first year was a rough one with colic, surgery, lots of crying and much help and support from family. I was still not sure about having a boy at this point because he sure rocked my world to the core. But something clicked right around the year mark I don't remember the moment and it wasn't an event that happened but rather the bond that I had been searching for that everyone always tells you about when they find out you are having a boy.  Oh there is nothing like the bond of a mom and a son.  Yep that sure is true and I remember thinking God has chosen the path he wants for me and he sure knew exactly what I needed. I needed a boy. I needed this sweet little being that looked at me with a smile and my heart melted. I needed someone that only wanted his mama and loved to cuddle.  Now he will tell me out of the blue " mommy I love you". Holy cow this little man is no girl and I thank god everyday that he isn't. I am blessed beyond words to have a girl and a boy and yes the best of both worlds.  So today I celebrate what god gave me two short years ago, the completion of our family, a boy. Happy Birthday Kellan James Sherman, you are our world and we all love you to the moon and back!