Monday, April 13, 2009

6 months pregnant!

Today we went in for my 23 week appointment and Geoff got to meet the doctor for the first time. The appointment was a routine appointment so we had the normal blood pressure check, weight check, heartbeat check and the opportunity to have any questions answered. My blood pressure was good. I had gained a healthy 4 pounds in the last 4 1/2 weeks and our little girl's heart rate was in the 160s. All in all everything looked good. This appointment was the first one where they began to measure my belly and it was measuring right on track for 23 weeks. The doctor also confirmed that at this point in the pregnancy the baby's weight was right about 1 pound and in the next 5 weeks will gain another 1 1/2 . Wow that is a whole lot of growing and I can expect her to be around 2 1/2 pounds at my next appointment.

The doctor also went over the ultrasound results with us and confirmed that we are indeed having a little girl. I had to ask him how sure he was that it was a girl in there because I had a lot of pink clothes in the closet already and he said that with boys they are usually never wrong, but 1 or 2 times a year they can be wrong with a girl. Those are pretty good odds so I am going with girl:) ! We will have another ultrasound at 30 weeks and he said he will confirm again for us to put my mind at ease. He also said she was measuring for a due date of August 7th but that is was so close to the original August 10th date that they would not change it. He said that if we did an ultrasound every week the date would probably change every time. Close enough and I said I would be overjoyed if she came earlier rather than later so no worries!

Next appointment is scheduled for May 11th and I will be right at 27 weeks and will be going in for my glucose test for gestational diabetes....